In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

Thursday, October 18, 2007

It's Brother, not Bother

To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time.
Clara Ortega




My whole life, people have pitied me for not having any sisters. They say how awful it must be to have all brothers and ask me if I have ever wanted a sister. The truth of the matter is, I can't ever remember really wanting one. Sometimes I wished that I could have someone to share clothes with, but that was about it and now that Kerri Lynn is a part of the family, she has taken care of that problem quite well. If people took the time to think about it, they would realize that youngest + only girl = spoiling!

Now that I live with 7 girls, I am realizing just how lucky I am to have all brothers. I could always count on taking as long as I wanted in the bathroom that I had to myself. I could always count on there being lots of the food in the house. Serioulsy, the girls here eat nothing and therefore when they make meals and do the shopping, it is in accordance with their hating habits. A handful of pasta? Half of a tiny chicken breast? Maybe I just eat a lot, but I honestly don't know how they aren't always hungry because I sure am. I have also realized just how much most girls don't understand boys. Yes, they are kind of messy and they do say slightly off colour things and often forget to inhibit their bodily functions...that is just how they are. Deal with it. Despite all this, I do get along wonderfully with my dorm. They are all wonderful girls, but they just aren't the same as brothers.

I am truly thankful for my brothers in so many ways. I am thankful that they took me outside of my Barbie world sometimes and let me play boy games. I am thankful that they helped me play sports. I am thankful for their sense of humour, even though I didn't always laugh. I am thankful that they encourage me. I am thankful that they teased me. It helped me to not take things so personally...although I think I may still require more help in this area. I am thankful for their protection and all their advice. I am thankful that when we fought, we were never angry the next day. Boys don't hold grudges.

Most of all I am thankful for the examples they have set for me. They have had to learn many things the hard way so that I don't have to. They have experiences which I can draw from and learn from. They work hard in everything they do and they inspire me to do the same. I am proud of all of them and I hope that they are proud of me too. So much of who I am is because of my brothers.

Have I ever wanted a sister? I think brothers are just fine, thank you.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Lindsay,

You made me cry today. What nice and wonderful things to say about your brothers! Thank you for being a great sister, a great daughter and a great friend.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay. You know, I feel like I get a greater insight into your mind and your ACTUAL thoughts when I read these blogs. It is honoring to know your deep-down-heart-felt-only-revealed-by-the-soul-searching-of-blogging thoughts on your brothers. Though I always knew how you appreciated your bros, it means alot to read such a heart felt salute to your bros. Thanks a lot sis.

Anonymous said...

hey sis. thanks. it means alot. i think you miss us!! its cool though, i miss you too! I wouldnt have wanted another brother, i am glad that i have a sister too. I think that the value of the 4 of us in eachothers lives is unmeasurable, and your girly insight would have not been there if you weren't around!
I would like to think that having a sister should help me be able to relate to women better (although at this point I am failing to see the fruit on that tree)

brothers... cool
sisters.. pretty cool too

oh ya, and thanks for using pics where i look good. :)

Joyce said...

Awwww I wish I had a daughter just like you....hey maybe that will come true? :^). Alot of people feel sorry for me too..not having any daughters,but if you never had you don't know what your missing, Right? No wonder you have so much patience with Jordan! And yes i DO miss his singing!!! Take Care and see you in December.

Anonymous said...

hey linds...you forgot to mention in your blog that I was your favorite brother...its okay..i'll let it slide this time...
but seriously that was nice to read...i think you are kind of like me in the sense that i find it easier to write down emotional heart-felt things than speaking them....its nice to read your blogs and have a small connectionion with you while you're far away in Maple Leaf land...see you at Christmas..love you...