In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

Monday, October 29, 2007

Who Loves Margarine?

A couple of weeks ago, I made some macaroni and cheese for lunch. That was the first and last time I have had macaroni since I have been here. Why you ask? Let me tell you. I took a bite of it and thought "Hmmm...this tastes a little funny" but I couldn't quite figure out what it was. I took a couple of more bites, hoping the taste would go away, but it was most defintely still there. Unsure of whether it was just my own tastebuds, I got Jessica to taste it. She took a bite and then promptly spit it in the garbage. We decided it tasted like the smell of compost. Yuck.

We weren't quite sure what made the macaroni so disgusting but I threw it out and went on with life...that is until supper time. We were having potatoes and I LOVE potatoes. It might actually be an obsession. Anyway, I put some margarine on my potatoes and then started to eat them. I only took a couple of bites when I noticed that they tasted a little bit off...kind of like my macaroni! Thanks to my skillful deduction, I figured out that the common factor in both these food ruining moments was the Becel margarine we had all been so happy to get, opposed to the hydrogenated, saturated, trans fat, heart attack margarine we had been using. We all took a whiff of the margarine and it smelled simply disgusting.

Being the good Dutch people that most of us are, we called Becel which is actually Unilever Canada and told them our sad margaine story. Monica (a girl from my dorm) was the one who actually called, and having never tasted the margarine, she told them it tasted like pesticides. Exaggeration never hurts. The lady on the phone told us to dispose of it immeadiately and talked on and on about all the different reasons it could have gone bad. Then...the magic moment came when she said that to replace our margarine, we would get four free coupons for Becel!! That made our day. Today these coupons arrived in the mail along with a letter which read:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Becel Margarine. We are very sorry to learn you had this experience.

Our company is dedicated to marketing products of only the highest quality and safety. Providing superior products at competitive prices is our commitment to you. We are concerned when we hear of a problem involving one of our products and will share your comments with the appropriate staff.
Thank you for bringing this important matter to our attention. We regret and inconvenience this situation may have caused you. Please accept the enclosed with our sincere appreciation for using our products.

Sincerely,
Stephanie Hooper
Consumer Services Rep


Aren't they nice? The only problem is that the coupons expire on December 31 and we probably won't be able to use them all. Margarine anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think if you put it in the mail right away, I could use one of those coupons! Just kidding, I'm sure you could just put margarine on everything so you can go through four by December 31st, like popcorn, toast, cereal, pasta, chips, apples, you know, those kind of things!

Katrina VandenBerg said...

If you need to get rid of that coupon I would be more than willing to take it off your hands! (to be read in the voice of a desperate off campus student)

Anonymous said...

i eat margarine for kicks...please help.

Tim Selles said...

Lindsay! Am I a bad friend for not knowing you had a blog until today? Maybe... But it does make me feel better that you've only had it for a few months.
Now that I know, I'll read it all the time and leave insightful little comments that you'll be delighted to read.