In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Summer Resolution

I have come to the conclusion that I worry way too much. While I have known this about myself for a long time, I have never really done anything about it. Example: On Monday afternoon, Robyn, Tim, Jordan, Whitney and I decided to go floating down the canal, but not before I asked everyone at least ten times if it was safe. So as we were driving along the canal to get to our starting point, I saw a more turbulent area in the water underneath some type of machine. I automatically assumed it was a weir and launched into my story about people dying when they get too close to weirs. Everyone said that we could just get out of the canal and walk around this part, but I was still very skeptical and got out waaay before we needed to. Images of people getting sucked under and chopped into little pieces kept entering my head, making it pretty difficult to enjoy the ride. Needless to say, no one died and it turns out the scary machine thing was just a pumping station for irrigation and not a weir. I still think it looked pretty dangerous...but it probably wasn't, seeing as Tim had gone through it before and the friendly farmer driving by didn't seem too concerned that we were getting close to it. Therefore, it is my summer resolution to stop being such a worry wart and relax a little bit. I could wait until New Year's, but I might have an ulcer by then.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I think its okay to pick up on things that are dangerous, or might be dangerous. But the key is too plan for it and pray.
I worry like a mother sometimes. Most times in fact. But God tells us not to worry. To submit our worries to him instead.
I'm still working on this :) but I pray that you will be able to do this, that your traded in worries would be replaced with peace, enabling you to enjoy things more like you want to :)